PeoplesHub Circle – Connect online as an individual
Holistic Practices for Boosting Self and Community Health in These Times
In these times of rapid change, information overload/misinformation, global connectedness, and solidarity isolation, you might be wondering how to maintain or grow health for yourself and your community. We invite you to join Detroiters and Midwest Friends in a conversation where we’ll share and learn holistic practices for boosting health. We will discuss resources and experiences and invite participants to do the same.
Marcia Lee (Healing by Choice!, PeoplesHub)
Hong Gwi-Seok (Iyengar Yoga Detroit Collective)
Lottie V. Spady and Adela Nieves Martinez, RMT, CCT, ADS (Healing by Choice!)
Circle Length and Type:
2 hour session
Connect as an individual
Saturday, April 4th
From 11am-1pm PST/ 1-3pm CST/ 2-4pm EST
This Circle is ideal for:
People interested in supporting their immune systems and caring for others.
- Learn ways holistic health practitioners and community members work towards boosting individual and community health.
- Practice techniques to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Share and learn ways to grow interdependence, local reliance, and mutual aid in these times.
- We will not be providing medical advice or prescriptions.
What do you do to prepare?
Please choose a location with a strong internet connection, where you are able to share and listen comfortably. You’ll need a phone or a laptop or desktop computer, with video and headphones.
Here are some resources to get you started (we will have more resources after the Circle for you!):
- Holistic support for Immunity and Virus Prevention by Diana Quinn Inlak’ech, ND
- We Embrace Our Time and Place, and We Support Each Other Through Crisis: Iyengar Yoga for Respiratory and Immune Health and Resilience by Hong Gwi-Seok
- World Health Organization Advice for Public (including myth busters on Coronavirus)
- Iressitble podcast (formely Healing Justice podcast) Coronavirus: Wisdom from a Social Justice Lens from Cranky Queer and friends
- Blog on Coronavirus, climate change, and community care by Susan Raffo
Free or by donation!
Ready to sign up?
Made possible by our partner:
Healing by Choice! is a circle of women of color health and healing practitioners in Detroit who offer a range of healing modalities for self-care and the reduction of racial harm in mind, body, spirit, and institution. Some of the modalities we work through include Reiki, Meditation, Tai-Chi, Peace Circles, Herbal Consultations, Ear Acupuncture, Food as Medicine, workshops and presentations.
Marcia Lee (she)
Marcia Lee seeks to create a more just and compassionate world through individual and collective healing justice. She is a co-founder of Taproot Sanctuary, an intentional community in Detroit that strives to live in right relationship with the earth and our neighbors. She is a restorative justice/peacemaking circle keeper and trainer; facilitates Circles of Trust(c) through the Center for Courage and Renewal; teaches tai chi; leads workshops on healing, anti-racism, and strategic planning; and is a core member of Healing by Choice, a women of color healing collective. Marcia worked with the Franciscans for Justice, Peace, and the Integrity of Creation and co-founded the Detroit Area Restorative Justice Center. She loves to laugh, craft interesting/useful questions, and make Appalachian brooms.
Hong Gwi-Seok (she/they)
An intermediate senior level certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher. She has been studying since 1996 and teaching since 2001. She has studied directly under the Iyengar family and helps run Iyengar Yoga Detroit Collective as a co-owner and lead teacher.
Lottie V. Spady
Detroit food, environment, and media justice advocate. Herbalist for Detroit Elixir & Salve Company and blogger at EarthSeed Detroit. Member of Healing by Choice!
Adela Nieves Martinez, RMT, CCT, ADS
A traditional Community Health and Healing Arts Practitioner. Committed to Taino (indigenous peoples of the Caribbean) roots and beloved community. She is a co-madre of Healing by Choice!